Table of Contents
- What Constitutes a Great Power Tool Brand?
- Top Five Power Tools Brands of 2022
- Which Brand Has the Best Cordless Power Tools?
- Which Brand Has the Widest Range of Tools?
- Which Brand Has the Best Construction Tools?
- Shop These Professional Brands Today for Your Power Tool Needs
With so many brands on the market, locating the best power tool can be tedious, time-consuming, and frustrating, especially if you’re new to home improvement. Without knowing what makes each brand unique, you can easily get the wrong tool for your workbench.
That’s why we’ve compiled this comprehensive guide about the best power tool brands of 2022. Read on to learn what constitutes a great power tool and the best tool brands of 2022. We’ll also cover which brand has the best cordless power tools, the widest range of tools, and the best construction tools.
What Constitutes a Great Power Tool Brand?
Before we explore the top brands of 2022, let’s look at what makes a power tool brand great.
Ideally, the best brand for your toolbox should have reasonable prices.
Generally speaking, the more features a brand has, the more expensive its products will be. However, that doesn’t mean you should overlook budget brands. Many consumer-friendly brands — like Ryobi and Black + Decker — offer a diverse portfolio of lightweight, portable, and user-friendly products for DIYers and hobbyists.
In short, don’t let a brand’s price determine whether it’s a good buy. You should only consider the budget once you’ve looked at the brand’s product categories, quality, and features. Then, make a list of required and nice-to-have features. Here’s an example:
|Required Features||Nice-to-Have Features|
|Wide variety of products||Interchangeable batteries|
|High-quality tools||Brushless motors|
|High-quality batteries||Warranty over 2 years|
Then, look at your budget and the price ranges of the brands you’re interested in. If you have a limited budget, choose a brand with all of your required features. But if you have the budget for it and you want some or all of the nice-to-have features, get a brand that checks off all of your required features including extras.
Wide Variety of Tools and Product Categories
The best brand should also have a wide range of power tools and product categories, including:
- Circular saws
- Outdoor equipment like pole saws
- Hammer drills
- Belt sanders
- Nail guns
- Air compressors
- Miter saws
- Table saws
- Impact drivers
The best brands should offer cordless, corded, and gas-powered options for most of these tools. They should also provide energy-dense battery packs and ergonomic handles.
Finally, the ideal brand for your workbench should have high-quality tools. In other words, the brand’s tools are:
- Powerful: High-quality tools have high power ratings and batteries, empowering you to handle heavy-duty applications that involve concrete and metal.
- Durable: The best brands use premium plastic and metal for their tools. As such, you can use these tools for years.
- Portable: If you’re getting a tool for overhead and mobile applications like framing, consider getting a portable tool. While some types of power tools will always be heavier and larger than others, some brands specialize in creating lightweight tools.
- Good for their intended purpose: Your chosen brand should also create high-quality tools that fit their intended purpose. For example, if you’re a DIYer, you should look for a brand that creates top-notch homeowner tools. On the other hand, if you use power tools for a living, you should look for a brand that specializes in professional tools. Some companies create amazing tools in both markets, but most are only good at creating tools for one particular market. Ryobi, for example, makes high-quality tools for homeowners, while Milwaukee specializes in first-class professional tools.
The best brand for your toolbox should also have reliable and reasonable warranties for its tools.
Top Five Power Tools Brands of 2022
|Brand||DeWalt||Stanley Black + Decker||Ryobi||Milwaukee||Bosch|
|Battery Technology||Lithium-ion (Li-ion) batteries interchangeable with chargers and tools of the same voltage||20V MAX* Li-ion batteries interchangeable with all 20V MAX* Black + Decker tools||Li-ion batteries interchangeable with chargers and tools of the same voltage||Interchangeable Li-ion batteries for M18, M12, and MX Fuel cordless products||Li-ion CORE18V batteries are interchangeable with all 18V Bosch Li-ion chargers and tools|
|Portability||Tends to be heavier||Lightweight||Lightweight||Tends to be heavier||Middle-range|
|Product Range||Extremely varied — offers automotive tools, drills, grinders, rotary hammers, sanders, and more||Mostly limited to drills and hammers||Quite varied — offers mostly cordless tools for drilling, cutting, fastening, sanding, and more||Extremely varied — offers corded and cordless drilling and fastening tools, plumbing kits, lasers, metalworking gear, and more||Quite varied — offers corded and cordless radios, rotary lasers, circular saws, hammer drills, impact wrenches, and more|
|Intended Purpose||Professional||DIY||DIY||Professional||Professional and DIY|
|Warranty||3 years||2 years||3 years||5 years||1 year|
DeWalt is one of the most well-known home improvement brands. According to the Lifestory Research 2020 America’s Most Trusted Power Tools Brand Study, DeWalt was the most trusted brand among consumers seeking to purchase power tools.
DeWalt offers a wide range of products for professionals, including:
- Impact drivers and wrenches
- Automotive tools
- Pipe and tubing tools
- Multi-function tools
- Grinder and polishers
- Routers, jointers, and planers
- Screwguns and screwdrivers
- Cable cutting and crimping tools
- Dust management tools
Why Consumers Love DeWalt
- Great for professionals and DIYers
- Powerful brushless motors
- Automatic power output adjustment technology
- Wide range of features, such as E-Clutch to minimize torque
- Energy-dense batteries
- Some tools are heavy
Stanley Black + Decker Tools
Stanley Black + Decker is the parent company of Black + Decker, one of the biggest brands in the U.S. Founded in 1910 in Baltimore, Maryland, Black + Decker has been developing portable power tools for over a century.
In 1960, Stanley Black + Decker bought a well-known brand in the home improvement industry, DeWalt. Under Stanley Black + Decker’s leadership, Black + Decker was rebranded for DIYers and hobbyists, while DeWalt became the high-end brand for professionals.
Why Consumers Love Black + Decker
- Great for DIYers and hobbyists
- Great selection of drill drivers and hammers
- Limited offerings
- Not for heavy-duty applications
- Not for professional use
- Uses lower-quality materials
Ryobi is one of the best choices for homeowners. Ryobi power tools may not be as rugged as Milwaukee or DeWalt tools, but they’re perfect for DIYers who just want to fix their home or garden. They aren’t made for heavy-duty applications, but they can hold up for an average of 5 years.
Variety of Tools
Like the other brands in this guide, Ryobi has a diverse portfolio of power tools. The company manufactures and sells the following power tools:
- Drilling tools, such as hammer drills, drills, rotary hammers, and drill presses
- Fastening tools, including impact wrenches, screwdrivers, screwguns, and impact drivers
- Cutting tools, such as miter saws, table saws, reciprocating saws, and multi-tools
- Woodworking tools, including planers, biscuit joiners, and routers
- Combo kits
- Prep, maintenance, and repair gears
- Nailers, staplers, and pneumatic tools
- Hobby and crafting tools
Why Consumers Love Ryobi
- Great for DIYers and hobbyists
- Wide range of products
- Toy-like design
- Breaks apart easily
- Not for heavy-duty applications
Founded in Wisconsin in 1924, Milwaukee has been creating top-notch power tools for nearly a century. It has made countless contributions to the power tool industry, including creating the technology that lets cordless power tools use Li-ion batteries.
Milwaukee’s mission is to disrupt innovation by getting out on the job site to understand the challenges professionals encounter throughout the day. This focus has made it one of the most reliable brands for professional-grade power tools.
Milwaukee continues to set itself apart with its cordless tools. The company has assembled a leading-edge team of industrial designers and engineers to design, develop, and manufacture motors and battery packs for contractors.
If you’re looking for variety, Milwaukee’s got it. The company manufactures the following and more:
- Drilling tools, including drill drivers, magnetic drills, hammer drills, and right-angle drills
- Fastening tools, such as ratchets, impact wrenches, screwdrivers, and impact drivers
- Plumbing kits
- Outdoor equipment
- Combo kits
- Metalworking gear, such as grinders, nibblers and shears, band saws, and sanders
- Woodworking tools, including panel saws, routers, compressors, oscillating multi-tools, miter saws, table saws, and jig saws
- Vacuums and fans
- Drain cleaning tools, such as toilet and sink augers, drain cleaning cables, and cutters
- Electrical installation tools, such as cable strippers, rod cutters, and pipe threaders
- Concrete tools, such as cut-off saws, core drills, and demolition hammers
- Specialty tools, including heating tools, rotary tools, rivet tools, and applicators
- Nailers and staplers
Why Consumers Love Milwaukee
- Powerful professional-grade tools
- One-Key platform allows users to manage maintenance and compatibility across battery-powered tools
- Great tools for heating, ventilation, and air conditioning technicians, electricians, and automotive workers
- Durable tools for tough jobs
- Long line of cordless tools
- REDLINK PLUS Intelligence for optimal performance and overload protection
- Interchangeable batteries for M18, M12, and MX Fuel cordless products
- M12 products are budget-friendly
- Many tools are expensive
- Tools tend to be on the heavy side
- Batteries don’t always charge properly
- Trigger may be too loose
Founded in 1886 in Stuttgart, Germany, Bosch is now one of the leading names in the power tool industry. The company has an excellent track record of making durable and reliable tools. Bosch batteries also have some of the longest shelf lives on the market.
Bosch creates corded and cordless tools, but they’re best known for their portable cordless models. This brand offers a wide variety of products, including:
- Track and plunge saws
- Reciprocating saws
- Jig saws
- Grinders and metalworking
- Rotary and demolition hammers
- Circular saws
- Drills, hammers, and impact drivers
- Benchtop tools
Why Consumers Love Bosch
- Resilient batteries
- Great for professionals
- Wide variety of cordless tools
- Many tools feature advanced brushless motor technology
- Ergonomic designs
- Uses high-density plastic
- Not as high-quality as DeWalt or Makita
- Corded tools are much more powerful than their cordless cousins
- Fewer innovative features than other leading brands
Which Brand Has the Best Cordless Power Tools?
The brand with the best cordless power tools is Milwaukee. Milwaukee cordless tools are:
Portable: Many Milwaukee cordless tools are light and easy to carry. Many products come with ergonomic handles to decrease fatigue.
Innovative: These power tools aren’t just durable and powerful — they also boast state-of-the-art features like:
- REDLINK PLUS Intelligence for optimal performance and overload protection.
- REDLITHIUM battery packs that run cooler and provide more power than comparable batteries.
- Automatic oilers for saws.
- POWERSTATE brushless motors for maximum power and efficiency.
Diverse: Milwaukee cordless power tools are also diverse. You can choose from three product lines:
- M12: M12 12-volt tools feature lightweight, ergonomic designs for maximum productivity and ease of use. They’re your best bet for working in tight spaces. All M12 REDLITHIUM batteries fit M12 tools.
- M18: Performance-driven and trade-focused, M18 18-volt tools are designed for mobility and power. The M18 line has over 200 tools that are fully compatible with M18 REDLITHIUM batteries.
- MX Fuel: These tools have a much more powerful POWERSTATE brushless motor. They also deliver unmatched runtime, durability, and power compared to M12 and M18 products. Consider getting these products for heavy-duty or commercial applications. MX Fuel REDLITHIUM batteries are compatible with all MX Fuel tools.
Which Brand Has the Widest Range of Tools?
Milwaukee ranks first for being the power tool brand with the widest range of tools, with DeWalt being a close second. Milwaukee has over 150 tools in its M18 line and over 100 tools in its M12 line, while DeWalt has over 250 products in its 20V MAX* line and around 30 FlexVolt tools. Both brands also sell a range of accessories, from fasteners and blades to hole saws and bits.
Which Brand Has the Best Construction Tools?
Milwaukee is the best brand for construction tools. Milwaukee power tools are:
- Powerful: Milwaukee’s slogan is “Nothing But Heavy Duty” for a reason. Its products are designed for heavy-duty and professional applications, such as concrete and metal drilling and sawing. Milwaukee is so dedicated to serving professional consumers that it employs teams to collect feedback from actual users on job sites.
- Durable: Milwaukee products are also durable. Unlike Ryobi and Black + Decker, Milwaukee uses high-quality plastic and metal. As such, their tools can last years.
- Innovative: As mentioned above, Milwaukee products are incredibly innovative. They offer unique features that other brands lack, such as POWERSTATE brushless motors and REDLINK PLUS Intelligence.
- Flexible: Last but not least, Milwaukee offers a diverse portfolio of tools. It sells corded and cordless tools of varying voltages, sizes, designs, and price ranges. Most of its products are pricey, but it also offers a budget-friendly M12 line.
Shop These Professional Brands Today for Your Power Tool Needs
Getting the right power tool for your tool boxes can be an uphill battle. If you don’t know the differences between brands, you can easily buy a tool that doesn’t fit your requirements.
To choose the best model, you need to identify your priorities, preferences, and budget. If you have a limited budget and you’re a DIYer who just wants a tool for light-duty projects, consider getting a Ryobi or Black + Decker tool. These compact tools are lightweight, portable, and user-friendly. However, Bosch may be a better choice if you have a larger budget and you want to work on medium-duty projects. Bosch equipment is generally more durable and offers more features than Ryobi and Black + Decker products.
On the other hand, if you’re a contractor who needs a power tool for work, Ryobi, Black + Decker, and Bosch won’t cut it. Although these brands offer a diverse range of powerful tools, they aren’t made for heavy-duty jobs. Instead, you should get Milwaukee or DeWalt power tools. These leading brands boast cutting-edge motors, energy-dense batteries, and hundreds of professional-grade tools.